Info for Students: Work Experience
West Coventry Academy have launched not only Year 10 Work Experience but additionally Year 12. This is to ensure students have encounters with Employers & Employees plus have Experience of a Workplace. (Gatsby Benchmarks 5 & 6).
This page also has some virtual work experience opportunities that may interest you.
- Year 10 – Work Experience Private Placement Form 2024 – Download
- Year 12 – Work Experience Private Placement Form 2024 – Download
- What to say in phone calls and emails for placements – Crib Sheet
- Work Experience Booklet – Download (130kb)
Virtual Work Experience and Skills
Below is a list of some FREE virtual Work Experience placements plus Careers Information/Tips to find alternatives. Some will give a flavour of a career and some are ACTUAL placements where you need to register, apply and undertake hours of work.
This is not an exhaustive list, but may help students enhance their future Applications for HE, Apprenticeships & Employment.
Don’t forget there are other forms of work experience or skills you can demonstrate such as volunteering, assisting in your community, extra curricular activities – DoE, Scouts, Guides, Clubs or take up a new skills such as British Sign Language (BSL).
- Springpod offers students to Live and interactive careers talks, completely free to attend. Don’t worry if you can’t watch live – all talks will be available on-demand. It features inspiring career stories and guidance from experts across different fields – from technology to sport, and everything in between.
- Also offering a FEW Virtual Work experiences such as Nursing, Allied Health via NHS and an Engineering. Take a look as time specific again, e.g. NHS Allied Health runs from 20th and 31st July and this work experience programme will give students the chance to see life inside the NHS. They’ll learn about day-to-day life as an Occupational Therapist, learn how to analyse activities and support patients to overcome barriers in their day to day lives.
- Students can take part from the comfort of their own home. All they’ll need to access this programme is a computer that they can use for 10 hours over the 2 weeks. They can fit the work around their schedule, even if they’re unable to attend live webinars they’ll be able to access recordings
The comedian Rhod Gilbert in videos meeting people from a variety of careers and him having a go at that career. Lots of careers available and his take on it.
https://teachfirstcharity.sharepoint.com/:w:/s/External/DEV/EUNzGLsYJXxCnAIanU-raxUBlrdSh_8psz4PFsveYldYtw?rtime=4qtUq1IY2Eg – 5-8 min video clips of Virtual Career Talks from UK companies. Also there are fact sheets accompanying the films, plus shows subject links . More career talks to add in the future. Some include Architect, Careers in the Theatre, Electrician, Finance etc
You will need to register for this but not only does Barclaycard Lifeskills offer this Virtual W/Exp but also lots of useful information including CVs, building Confidence and Assertiveness, and tips to progress into the eventual World of Work. When you take part or view activities, students gain points to track their LifeSkills progress.
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/work-experience-and-internships Information and suggestions to alternatives to Work Experience plus lots of other Career & Job Profiles/Information
This free virtual W/Exp is for students interested in a career in Law and involves 5-6 hours to complete but will get practical skills and experience from White & Case Law Firm